Who are we?
At Intersection, we are at the forefront of the smart cities revolution. Our mission is to improve daily life in cities and public spaces, with products that bridge the digital and physical worlds by delivering connectivity, information and content to enrich our everyday journeys and elevate the urban experience.
We pair our human-centered methodology with cutting-edge technology to design, develop, deliver, and maintain unique products and experiences in public spaces that deliver value to advertisers, cities, and consumers. Whether partnering with urban transit systems to revolutionize commuting and travel, with cities to transform how they connect with residents and visitors, or private developers to create unforgettable experiences in neighborhoods and districts, our solutions are scalable platforms on which our clients can build the future.
Intersection is backed by Alphabet through its urban technology company Sidewalk Labs.
What is the role?
As a Senior Engineering Manager, Transit & Public Spaces at Intersection, you will lead a team of 6+ software engineers, building a next-generation platform focused on advancing experiences in public spaces including transit, airports/airlines, cities, and private destinations.
This is a unique opportunity to work at the convergence of the physical and digital worlds. You will engineer solutions that power experiences on large digital screens that are strategically placed in cities across the US, enabling people to get the most out of public spaces with real-time contextual information, monetized via a proven ad-based business model. You will collaborate with cross functional business partners, to design, build, and engineer a unique suite of products that enable real-time messaging, content targeting and experiences in public spaces. You will also partner with the VP, Engineering on architecture and systems integrations and help deliver value to our public spaces customers and advertisers/agencies.
Within your first month, you will:
- Learn and understand Intersection’s corporate, departmental and team goals
- Work with the team to have a clear understanding of the product roadmap and current capabilities
- Develop, inspire, manage, and mentor the engineering team
Within your first two months, you will:
- Pair with team members on committed initiatives
- Work collaboratively with other engineering teams and incorporate best practices
- Define, implement and improve agile practices to ensure delivery of predictable, high quality releases
- Steer the team to be more self organized
- Understand and get up to speed on the current Architecture
Within your first three months, you will:
- Enhance commuter and public spaces experiences via interactive solutions
- Build products enabling transit agencies to reach commuters in the real world
- Work with product, design, and business partners and plan future enhancements
- Develop a deep understanding of the business environment and strategy
- Keep abreast of emerging behaviors, technologies, and companies across the transit landscape
- Work with the team on individual goals and objectives
You're great for the role because:
- You have experience building large-scale software systems and are well-versed in contract first development
- You thrive at simplifying complicated business use cases
- You have expertise in Python (Django / Flask)
- You have proven experience working in highly-engaged, high-performing teams
- You have a track record of building and operating successful products and platforms
- You have experience managing teams of software engineers
- You have strong capabilities of observation, analysis, synthesis
- You are a strong communicator who communicates effectively across groups, locations and cultures, in-person and virtually
- You are a change-agent capable of building vision and alignment
At Intersection we celebrate every voice that makes us unique and every perspective that makes us grow. It’s our shared responsibility to create an equitable environment where every employee contributes to the culture of the company. Our products and offerings impact cities across the world and it’s our goal to represent the diversity and differences that make cities special. We will be relentless in that pursuit, because together we are better. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.